How can we get more done in less time? – 7 steps to prioritize
Posted August 8, 2010on:
“Too much work, too little time”.
“I have sooooo much to do. How can I complete all this?”
“How can you do sooo many things in such a less time”
We often hear the above around us (or perhaps, at times, we use these phrases by ourselves as well…..)
There are people who can do much more in same 24 hours and there are people who cannot do much in the same 24 hours in each day.
When we wake up each morning, we have variety of tasks and ‘To Dos’. How should we deal with it? By doing easiest task first and then move to next? Or should we start the most boring task first?. Perhaps the most important decision we make each day is: Choice of the task which we opt to do first! There is never enough time to do every thing we want to do but there is time to do some thing which is of value to us. Here are three ‘Ds’ to bring more efficiency in our work:
2. Discipline; and
We can begin each day with a list of everything which we have to do in the next 24 hours. This is called prioritization. Here is an interesting seven steps plan provided by Brian Tracy in his book: Eat That Frog (You can learn more about the book and see the prices from: Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time)
- Decide exactly what you want.
- Write it down.
- Set a deadline on your goal.
- List what you must do to achieve your goal.
- Organize the list into a plan.
- Take action on your plan immediately.
- Resolve to do something every day that moves you towards your major goal.
Three key questions which we can ask ourselves to prioritize our work include:
- What are my highest value activities?
- What can I and only I do that, if done well, will make a real difference.
- What is the most valuable use of my time right now?
Your thoughts on effective time management?