How can I motivate myself – on a continuous basis!
Posted February 5, 2010on:
” Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall”. (Contributed to this blog site by one of my cousins)
It’s been said that you should never share your problems with others because 80% of people don’t care about your problems anyway, and the other 20% are kind of glad that you’ve got them in the first place.
Brian Tracy suggests that “To perform at your best, you must become your own personal cheerleader. You must develop a routine of coaching yourself and encouraging yourself to play at the top of your game”.
In the book: Eat that Frog, Brian Tracy has given several ideas on keeping one self motivated. Here are a few ideas from his book:
- Fully 95% of our emotions, positive or negative, are determined by how we talk to ourselves on a minute to minute basis.
- It is not what happens to us but the way that we interpret the things that are happening to us that determines how we feel.
- It is our version of events that largely determines whether we are motivated or de-motivated, whether the events energize us or de-energize us.
- To keep ourselves motivated, we must resolve to become a complete optimist.
- We must determine to respond positively to the words, actions and reactions of the people and situations around us. We must refuse to let the unavoidable difficulties and setbacks of daily life affect our mood or emotions.
- Our level of self-esteem, how much we like and respect ourselves, is central to our levels of motivation and persistence.
- We should talk to ourselves positively all the time to boost our self-esteem.
- Say things like, “I like myself! I like myself!” over and over until you begin to believe it and behave like a person with a high performance personality.
- To keep yourself motivated, and to overcome feelings of doubt or fear, continually tell yourself, “I can do it! I can do it!”
- When people ask you how you are, always tell them, “I feel great!” Don’t complaint. Jim Rohn once remarked: If you are sick, go to the Doctor but don’t tell this to the market!
In study after study, psychologists have determined that “optimism” is the most important quality we can develop for personal and professional success and happiness. It seems that optimists have three special behaviors, all learned through practice and repetition.
How to become an optimist person?
First, optimists look for the good in every situation. No matter what goes wrong, they always look for something good or beneficial. And not surprisingly, they always seem to find it.
Second, optimists always seek the valuable lesson in every setback or difficulty. They believe that, ”difficulties come not to obstruct, but to instruct.” They believe that each setback or obstacle contains a valuable lesson they can learn and grow from, and they are determined to find it.
Third, optimists always look for the solution to every problem. Instead of blaming or complaining when things go wrong, they become action oriented. They ask questions like, “What’s the solution? What can we do now? What’s the next step?”
In addition, people who are habitually optimistic, positive and upbeat think and talk continually about their goals. They think and talk about the future and where they are going rather than the past and where they came from. They are always looking forward rather than backward.
When you continually visualize your goals and ideals and talk to yourself in a positive way, you feel more focused and energized. You feel more confident and creative. You experience a greater sense of control and personal power.
And the more positive and motivated you feel, the more eager you are to get started and the more determined you are to keep going.
Share your thoughts on motivation, share your experiences
Here is a motivational video: